Tuesday, August 04, 2015

Can You Recommend Some Great Books for Kids?

Calling all parents; education professionals; involved aunts, uncles, and family friends; and book lovers in general:

I need your help coming up with a list of books for kids.

Specifically, I'm looking for your recommendations of books written for elementary/primary school children that help them learn about how to make friends, and how to deal with anxiety.

The request is on behalf of my friend Connie, who's a professional counsellor who works helping kids at a non-profit organization in Vancouver. Connie's great with the kids, and she thinks some of the younger ones might benefit from being able to read and enjoy good stories that also happen to include some useful lessons.

As a friend and a book lover, I think encouraging kids to read and helping them learn important life skills at the same time is a great idea! Unfortunately, I can't really help with recommendations, because it's been a long, long time since I've read children's books with specific messages. I've been wracking my brain for titles of books that I enjoyed as a young kid, but nothing comes to mind that fits the bill (I probably did read some when I was a kid; I've just forgotten). Same with the books I've read or given to my nephew and niece.

So I'm turning to you, my well-read friends of the blogosphere! What books have you read to/read with/given to your kids, grandkids, nephews, nieces, friends' kids, and students that have helped them learn how to make friends and/or deal with anxiety?

Please leave your recommendations in the Comments section below, and I'll pass them along.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated — by me, by Connie, and most importantly, by the kids.

Thank you.

No comments: