Sunday, July 05, 2009

Missed It By That Much!

I should put off procrastinating for a while. It's caused me to miss the Hugo Award voting and it's my own damn fault.

Earlier this week we were on a short vacation over to Vancouver Island. Gave me a chance on the ferry rides over and back to catch up on my Hugo nomination package reading to the point where I was able to make an informed vote. I knew in the back of my mind that I had until midnight Friday to cast my ballot and even though we were being fairly leisurely about our return, making a few stops on the way back down the Island, I figured I'd have a couple of hours once we got home to exercise my Worldcon membership right. So we finally drove The Ol' Porkchop Express onto the scow, made the 2 hour crossing from Nanaimo to Tsawwassen, picked up some take-out from a favourite Chinese diner and got home and ate, spent some quality time with the cat, and unpacked.

By the time I made it to the computer, it was 10:00pm. No problem, right? Wrong. I pulled up the Hugo voting site and found a message saying voting was closed. It had ended at 11:59 Eastern. Dammit!

No one to blame but myself though. I could have read the nomination package a couple of months ago, and then I would have been able to get voting out of the way. But there were other books and short stories that caught my eye. Always figured I'd have enough time. I should have known better. Woulda, shoulda, coulda. Shit. Where's that Delorean time machine when I need it?

Ah well, at least the voting period is still open for the Auroras. The deadline is July 15th. I'll try to take care of my voting tomorrow evening, but at the very least I'll get it out of the way by the end of the week. I'll post my choices after I've voted.

No comments: