Saturday, June 16, 2007

Live And Let Die

This past Wednesday was “The End of the World”. At least, according to Steve at the blog My Elves Are Different. The site posted a neat challenge to bloggers around the world: on Wednesday, June 13, post as though there’s been a massive outbreak of zombies – tell the rest of the net what’s happening in your city as the living get routed by hordes of the gibbering, brain-eating undead. Dozens of bloggers, including the boys over at SF Signal, rose to the challenge of reporting the fictional devastation, and in some cases, their own demise.
From the few posts I’ve read so far, it looks as though everyone who participated had a riot (so to speak). Hats off to you if you took part and managed to make it through the day without losing your head… or brain… or, well, really any other bits and pieces for that matter, to the ravening zombies.
I’d thought about taking part in this blog challenge myself but held off for two reasons. First, I’m not a fan of the zombie sub-genre of books and films. They scared the crap outta me as a kid (I blame, in equal parts, the Stephen King novels my cousin used to read out loud to us, and “Thriller”), and as an adult I’m indifferent to them. I figured I’d leave this challenge to the true fans, so as not to be a poseur (I’ve been called many things in my life, some of them deservedly, but never a wannabe). Second, I was, admittedly, mighty tempted to take part anyway, just cause it looked like one hell of a fun writing exercise, but I checked my schedule at work and knew I wouldn’t have the time to post enough during the day to do the thing justice.
At any rate, I applaud My Elves Are Different for having the creativity to organize such a big theme blog event.

No comments: